[News] King Bhumibol Adulyadej dies at 88.

Noydarny80

Whenever I saw Hugo's mom interview, I always forget she is Thai. She had blonde hair and blue eyes but when she speaks Thai you know she is Thai. She is an expert of Chakri dynasty, she does a lot of research and publish about the history of the dynasty. Her second husband who is mixed with Thai and British but he is descendant from the house of Chakri too. I guess she married her distant cousin son. Yeah Hugo looks lot like his grandfather Prince Chula, probably the reason why he looks a little bit Thai.

After reading and trying to comprehend royal fam's family, The Chakrabongse is basically the line who 'preserves' halfies (luk kreung) blood in them.

Yep the massive amount of Rama V's children though! I literally gasped when the first time I read it. Thank heaven Rama IX didn't follow his footsteps to colonize women and made them as his wives. Although his son have shown the similar acts by having a handful number of children

Not as much as Rama IV's ( Mongkut) He had a lot of children reach adulthood and have family. Chulalongkorn only have 15 male descendants from him but Rama IV have a lot. Some of King Mongkut's grandchildren still alive and well. They are in their late 90s reaching their 100s.

it was based on Rama 4th, King Mongkut because he was the King during the time when Westerners start to have more impact in Thailand.

I'm not sure if I've been watching too many series but perhaps the many wives and women back in those days was to secure the Kingdom and power.

I think it is very common for Kingdom base off ancient Hindu court to practice it. Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar all practice the same customs. For example Rama I, II, III had a lot of consorts from the neighboring countries like Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and the kingdoms in the south of Thailand before becoming Thailand. The recent deceased King of Cambodia he had a lot of children with a lot of wives. I think some of his children were killed by Khmer Rouge. The recent King was a son with his youngest and mixed Queen.

Ive been watching Chinese series since Thailand is not airing. The one I am watching is Young Sherlock and I wish I can watch in Viki but it not available in USA. This series based off in the Tang Dynasty and Li family, I guess it is confirmed each Emperor have over 3000 concubines.

One of my professors lived in Thailand for a few years and is so saddened by His Majesty's passing. He made the class watch this documentary by history channel.

https://youtu.be/8mxRSVYLYjQ

• Like 1

That's exactly what King Mongkut said in an interview. He said all those wives made up for his years of celibacy in the monastery. Lol

King Mongkut's brother, Rama 3th stole the throne from him. Mongkut was the crown prince so the throne should have been his but he was a monk at the time of his dad's passing. He didn't want to come out of monkhood and start a war to reclaim his throne so he stayed at the temple until Rama 3th passed away and then he became king.

King Chulalongkorn married four of half-sisters. That's more disgusting than King Mongkut marrying his nieces. Lol

• Like 1