[News] King Bhumibol Adulyadej dies at 88.

Noydarny80

Are you talking about Rama VII, the Rama 9th's uncle? Rama 8 died young from self inflicted gun shot. And a lot of people speculate the King brother Rama 9th was the killer even though two people were arrested and execute for the crime.

King Rama 7th he only have one wife and she was a rank of Mom Chao( HSH Princess) and also his first cousin thru his parents. Lol

I don't think Rama 8th had a wife yet, but Rama 7th was the first King to have one wife and than followed by Rama 9th. They all married relations even Rama 10th once married his cousin lol but I think as he was growing up things start to change and yea he marry a celebrity and then a commoner.

But you know at least Rama 9th's parents were not relatives, his mother was just a commoner.

Who was the film Anna and the king based on?

I miss not have a video rental store to go rent old movies from. Wanted to watch this but can't find it anywhere.

Rama IV King Mongkut. I wouldn't watch this movie for historical fact, this movie exaggerate too much on love side. We all know Thai royal court back then was very strict. They have a lot of customs and rules to follow.

I think it just works out back then, remember these days we wouldn't understand because its not practice, back hundreds to thousands of years ago its very common and very practiced so they are all used to it and probably have some rules and structure in place for all the wives. And I'm also sure its not that the King sleeps with 10 wives a day but maybe some the King may not even sleep with, he may marry them or just have them in name in order for controlling a clan, village, town or court family. Or he may only sleep with them once and never see them again haha but most likely the King don't really rotate around those hundreds of thousands of wives he has, he probably just keep staying with few or 10-20 of his favorites only. Or ones that is actually his Queen or consort etc.

I believe King Mongkut had over 200 wives but he fathered children with only 39 wives. As for Anna and the King, there was some facts to it but events in the story was mostly fictional. Even historians said Anna made a lot of things up so she can be able to sell her book. King Mongkut himself said the book was written from the wild imagination of one woman.

Ooh! Well that's kinda sad to think that way had it been true the king didn't wanna make it look and seem like he was fond of a foreigner. Thanks ninja for the info. Guess I'll pass on the movie lol. I was gna watch it becus it felt so much respect but to think Anna use it for her advantage or to watch it and think the king didn't wanna make it look like the story was actually true so he had to deny a good relationship w Anna. Gives me mix messages lmao!

I think regarding Anna and the King, the viewers should perceive the movie was made for entertainment purpose only, although after watching it one couldn't help to wonder whether it's true or not. In reality, maybe it's merely Anna's fascination to the culture she had never seen before and the fascination to the King himself.

I'd like to compare the movie to Anastasia animation-version. It was based on actual event but the story line and the ending were made up to suit society's expectation of happy ending. The reality about the Princess Anastasia still pains me whenever I read the story again

On another note :

The citizens now can pay respect to the late King since the Grand Palace is now open to the public. People are currently queuing. And still hasn't heard about the construction of the funeral pyre or the ascension of Crown Prince.

If I'm not mistaken OneHd is on making tribute to King with utilizing most of its artists (spotted Pong,Aom, and Noon together all in one shot! I was so ecstatic). Some of Channel 3 actors and actresses go on with their shooting schedule. Channel 7 is also airing some lakorn with King as its center (?)